Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino
We are excited to begin addressing some of the feedback received by the membership via the survey & follow-up meetings. The items listed below were implemented by the Board of Trustees at this month’s meeting:
- We have scheduled (date to be announced separately) a special meeting of the RIYC membership to discuss and vote upon the Club obtaining a line of credit against the facility so we are better positioned to deal with a natural disaster. This would be the only applicable use for this loan. Details to follow on this important topic.
- We have also formed three subcommittees:
- Club Grounds Beautification – (Lorna Conahan with the balance of the committee under development) The purpose of this team is to take a fresh look at the grounds and make recommendations to the Trustees for improvements
- Small Sailboat interclub alignment – (Blake Powel, Dave Nickerson & Chris O’Donnell) The purpose of this subcommittee is to review the feasibility of each of the clubs in the area have one or two of the same boat, what would that be? The current thinking is that these would be club property & available for use by members for general sailing, learn to sail programs and interclub one design
- Club Bylaws periodic review & revisions for consideration – (Amy Leger, Tom Bishop, and Mike McBee) The purpose of this subcommittee is to complete a general review of the bylaws with an eye towards ensuring gender neutrality, congruent thought process and clarifying general intent.
Report from the Entertainment Committee – Sandy Turner and Rodney Denman
Chairs R. Denman and S. Turner had previously highlighted parties up through the Family Pig Roast. Between the last Board meeting and now the New Members/Past Commodores was held on 06/16/18. It was a fun evening with good weather and the turnout was huge at 129 plus the committee. There were very few leftovers and the committee did a great job! Included in this high headcount were both new members and past Commodores who by traditionally do not pay–making this party challenged to break even depending on the number of the non-charged attendees. While we do not need positive cash flow off of the parties, some positive parties help with other events as we do not keep a large balance in our account. Fortunately, this party broke even!
For the future parties, we will advise hosts on a food budget. It is great to have a variety of the food served, but we may have to look at the quantity planned for and the proposed menu options. Entertainment is also updating the Evite list and the Sign-up Genie will be resent.
Remember, we are a “sweat equity” club, so sign up early and often to help with parties!
With the Quad Party scheduled for Sat 8/4 the Committee kindly asks:
- If you plan to attend, please RSVP and prepay
- The club will be fully stocked with toilet paper, garbage bags, and paper towels
- The lawn will be mowed on Thursday ( the tent will be set up Friday as well for an event on Fri night)
- Board members will be regularly checking the post box for RSVP’s
- Tiana will be working until 7 pm to assist with guests docking
Report from the Junior Program
Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl
Anne Bergendahl reports that the first two weeks are off to a good start despite a few hiccups! The Austin LaFrance Opti Regatta is on Tuesday, July 17th, and the Salle Evelyn 420/Blue Jay regatta is the following Thursday, July 26th.
If any member wishes to help (not just parents of JR. Sailors), let Rob Warn or Ann Bergendahl know. We would love more involvement from membership as a whole!
Junior Activities / Thursday Nights – Tina McLoughlin
Thursday Night Picnic season has officially arrived!
- Thursday 8/2: 6 pm Freak Rig Competition
- Thursday 8/16: 6 pm Awards Ceremony (Rolling Tomato pizza truck and ice cream bar)
Junior Safety at Sea Workshop will use of the club on Wednesday, July 25th from 8 am check-in to 5 pm pick-up. The Storm Trysail Foundation will be running its 2nd Jr. Safety@Sea Seminar with the host Ram Island Yacht Club on Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Junior Sailors ages 12-19 are welcome.
Fee: $42.00 includes snacks, lunch, raffle prizes, and giveaways.
Report from the Race Committee
Race Ashore – Matt Curtiss
Planning is well underway for this annual event.
- The Groton Police Department has confirmed an officer for the day
- We have ordered a dumpster and will confirm
- Ice will be carefully guarded to ensure availability
- Universal will provide drink service
- Hats are still being finalized
Race Afloat – Moise Solomon
The Yachtscoring site is now live with the notice of race and registration information. Changes to the website have been written and are imminent.
Any members not using their mooring on August 25, 26 and willing to allow transient racers to use, please contact Moise, email@example.com.
Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich
The Committee reports on two ongoing projects:
- Work to replace missing fascia is to start the week of July 16th. Steve Bossie is doing the work.
- Tiana, our steward, is applying primer on porch columns
Report from the Waterfront Committee – Stan White
We had an accident on the floating docks where a member’s foot slipped between the dock units. John McCrae has taken the lead in placing filler 2×4’s into the space between the docks to prevent potential injuries.
Website – Lorna Conahan
The new website is up and running! There have been a few glitches to work through, but overall feedback has been positive. We will be working on determining the best way to mail things out to people. There have been a few challenges with how photos appear in the Newsletter and in mailings that will be addressed. Many thanks to Rush Hambleton!
Bob and Maggie Henderson
- Tony and Gretchen Frederici
David StrangCruise News – Stan White
Send an email to Stan White if you plan to attend the planned cruise.
- The Fall Cruise will be held September 14th – 17th with the intended destination of Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Third Beach. We might need four or five nights!
Safety for Cruising Couples (Including “Suddenly Alone”) a Cruising Club of America (CCA) one-day training had to be postponed until September – date to be announced. Contact Stan White if you are interested.