RIYC November 2018 Newsletter

Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino

  • Greetings:
  • First – Let’s talk about the social events – The Holiday season is upon us and the Entertainment Committee is planning accordingly.  Of special note the following events are scheduled:
    • RIYC/Mudheads Children’s Christmas Party – December 1 from 1-3 pm at RIYC
    • RIYC Holiday party is scheduled for December 8 from 6-8 pm at RIYC

    As Commodore, I’m hoping to see everyone at the Dec. 8 Holiday Party.  It will be a special event with great food and an award presentation. The Trustees will hold their final 2018 meeting on Dec. 11.

    At the November Board of Trustees meeting, there was an exciting update from the Long-Range Planning committee (Blake Powell, John Watson, and Fred Haberlandt).  They presented a well-thought-out approach to creating a common vision and a plan to align our resources and actions as we develop future membership, programs, and facilities.  The plan will include short and long-range facility requirements identified by the Club committee chairs, the feedback all of you provided in the membership survey and an eye toward refreshing the Club’s mission and a supporting vision statement. Please pay close attention for upcoming communications from this team.  It’s a large undertaking but very important for the Club’s existence now and in the future.

    Last but not least some exciting feedback about our young sailors who represent us outside of Fisher’s Island Sound. Two 2018 Ames fund recipients recently posted significant results:

    • Tyler Bergendahl competed at the Bermuda Optimist Nationals and finished with an impressive 33 out of more than sixty boats hailing from four countries. These are impressive results at an international event with BIG breeze and tough
    • Chris Annino and Tyler Bergendal also competed at the Halloween at Sail Newport on October 28th in different classes. Chris placed first the c420 fleet, and Tyler placed 4th in red fleet/6th overall in the Optimist class.

    It’s great to see “RIYC” high on the regatta results board from our Ames 2018 Fund recipients!

    Happy Holidays

Report from the Entertainment Committee – Rodney Denman and Denise Kennedy

Rodney Denman reported that there have been 2 events since the last meeting. Decommissioning was attended by about 60 members, and the first Frugal of the season was attended by about 70 members.

The Committee needs the membership to step up and host or help with the many events. Contact Rodney or Denise. Get involved!

Report from the Junior Program

Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl and Rob Warn

All of the boats have been put to bed for the season. The Junior program is working with Cindy Nickerson to explore collaborations with NESS and other yacht clubs.  The kids’ Christmas party will be from 1-3pm on December 1. The Mudheads are invited as well and will split the cost.  Moise Solomon suggested inviting other yacht clubs as well.  Any additional attendees can be easily absorbed as it is an inexpensive party to organize.

Report from the Race Committee

Race Ashore – Tina McLoughlin and Race Afloat – Moise Solomon

The committees will meet in before the end of the year to debrief the last race and make recommendations for the coming year.

Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich and Fred Haberlandt

The House Committee is finalizing plans for this winter and spring in conjunction with the Long Range Planning/Facilities Improvement Committee.

Long Range Planning/Facilities Improvement Committee – Blake Powell, John Watson, and Fred Haberlandt

Blake Powell summarized for the Board the earlier Strategic Planning Exercises, which highlighted seven areas of focus coming out of the exercise. At this point, we are focusing on continuing to work with the membership to further define the next steps.

The LRP subcommittee chose 2041 as the focal point for a shared Mission and Vision – this will be the 100th birthday of the club.  At this time, the club’s Mission is not well known and will be revisited by the Committee and the Board.  The Board will focus on refining the Mission and will share and gain consensus across the broader Membership.

The proposed plan is to establish three subcommittees that will group the seven areas of focus (as well as some additional subcommittees that have already kicked off) from the original exercise.  These three subcommittees will work in January and February to build strategic plans for their respective areas and align them with the overall vision.  The plans will incorporate previous input from membership and should include existing near-term initiatives, such as maintenance and improvements.  In March and April, the subcommittees will then build a strategic plan, integrating across of the subcommittee areas, to define a single set of actionable and fundable requirements for the near term (2020), mid-term (2025), and long-term (2041).

The final plan will establish a shared vision and will need to accommodate changes as the Club moves forward.   Various scenarios will be explored including what the Club might propose at varying levels of funding.

The goal will be to rely on internal and external experts to gain an understanding of the broader environment.  For instance, Moise Solomon mentioned a coastal study that Groton completed; that type of material would be helpful for “resilience to weather events”.

John Watson will be contacting identified individuals to serve on the subcommittees.

Report from the Waterfront Committee – Sandy Turner and Matt Champney

The freshwater system on the docks has been drained for the winter.

The Waterfront Committee is looking for volunteers to help with float repair and construction this winter. If you are interested in being part of the construction crew on-call list, send your name to Sandy Turner (hturner1970@hotmail.com) and Matt Champney (mattchampney@gmail.com)

Those members looking for dinghy dock space for next year should contact John McCrea.

Resignations 

None

Last Voyage

Steve Allen – November 20, 2018 https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theday/obituary.aspx?n=stephen-j-allen&pid=190857370&fhid=6910

New Members

None

Cruise News – Stan White

The Club will run two cruises next year – June and September. Please send your ideas of places to go to Stan White (swhite151@gmail.com).

FOR SALE

We have added a new topic for the newsletter where Members may post, for one newsletter, an item they wish to sell. The item must be marine-related and the information to be sent to the RIYC Secretary must include:

  • Member Name
  • Member contact information
  • Detailed description and condition of the item wishing to be sold
  • Desired selling price

***************************************************************************************

No listing this month.

One Fun Thing (?)

Climate change is here!

2018-10-27 Nor’easter

RIYC October 2018 Newsletter

Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino

Greetings:

At the time of this writing, the official RIYC boating season is over and the Club has been decommissioned.

  • First, I’d like to note that in accordance with the bylaws the Club’s finances had been audited prior to the annual meeting.  The audit committee identified no findings or concerns but has made three recommendations on how the Club’s finances are administered.  The Board of Trustees are currently considering how to best implement the recommendations and we will follow up on these at future Board meetings. We are actively planning for next summer’s boating season and a few planned improvements to the Club’s facilities including paving of the Club parking lot.  If someone has the time and is willing to supervise the paving, please contact me directly.  It would be good to have a point person identified and included in the bidding and award of this effort.

The New Board of Trustees and Committees

Gary Annino Commodore
Blake Powell Vice Commodore
Amy Leger Rear Commodore
Kathy Parker Secretary
Mary Giblin Treasurer
John Watson LRP/ Facilities Improvement
Tina McLoughlin Race Ashore
Fred Haberlandt House
Matt Champney Dock
Moise Solomon Race Afloat
Sandy Turner Dock
Frank Bohlen House
Ann Bergandahl Jr Sailing
Rodney Denman Entertainment
Tina McLoughlin Thursday Nights
Denise Kennedy Entertainment
Rob Warn Jr sailing activities
Matt Lettrich House
John McCrea Dockmaster
Frank Conahan Yardmaster
Fred Haberlandt Housemaster
Frank Bohlen Housemaster
Chuck Chorlton Rental Coordinator
Valerie Grimm Merchandise

Report from the Entertainment Committee – Sandy Turner and Rodney Denman

Sixty-eight members attended the Annual Meeting. Everyone loved the food and good cheer.

Report from the Junior Program

Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl and Rob Warn

Junior Sailing is looking to purchase another used 420 and to retire one of the two 420’s that the club has owned for 12 years. The Trustees revisited the rationale for the club owning these boats.  The club boats are rented to junior sailors for use in the program and the rentals often go to kids whose are parents are not sailors.  Having boats available is a good way to “keep” them in the program and kids who remain generally end up purchasing their own.

Ann Bergendahl also noted that the landscape of sailing in the area is changing.  Mudratz and NESS both offer programs for more advanced sailors, however Jr. Sailing is committed to offering some options for learning double-handed sailing at RIYC.

The Trustee approved the purchase of the 420.

Report from the Race Committee

Race Ashore – Matt Curtiss and Race Afloat – Moise Solomon

The committees will meet in before the end of the year to debrief the last race and make recommendations for the coming year.

Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich

M. Lettrich, F. Haberlandt, and F. Bohlen will all be on House Committee this year, reflecting a large amount of anticipated work. Immediate plans include contacting a plumber to work on the outside heads as well as the upstairs shower, fixing the three downstairs doors, and addressing the flooring in the bar area. The code will be reset for the door after Decommissioning and members needing access should contact a Trustee for the new code.

Moise Solomon looked into saving money on our phone service during the winter months. As a result, he proposed the following:

  • Switching to a lower bandwidth in the winter; saving us approximately $40 per month
  • Purchasing a modem for the internet for approximately $60 instead of renting one for $9 per month
  • Transitioning to a VOIP system that includes 911, allows us to keep our phone number, and saves us $200 / year. It was noted that if there is no power the phone will not work.

The Trustees approved the action item proposed by Moise as a good way to save some operating costs and improve overall telephone service at the Club.

Report from the Waterfront Committee – Sandy Turner and Matt Champney

Float hauling was successfully completed. The floats were inspected and stored so repairs can be made and new floats built this winter. Thank you goes out to all the work party members.

The Waterfront Committee is looking for volunteers to help with float repair and construction this winter. If you are interested in being part of the construction crew on-call list, send your name to Sandy Turner (hturner1970@hotmail.com) and Matt Champney (mattchampney@gmail.com)

Resignations 

Last Voyage

New Members

Cruise News – Stan White

The Club will run two cruises next year – June and September. Please send your ideas of places to go to Stan White (swhite151@gmail.com).

FOR SALE

We have added a new topic for the newsletter where Members may post, for one newsletter, an item they wish to sell. The item must be marine-related and the information to be sent to the RIYC Secretary must include:

  • Member Name
  • Member contact information
  • Detailed description and condition of the item wishing to be sold
  • Desired selling price

***************************************************************************************

No listing this month.

One Fun Thing

Ram Island YC is just not for sailing – we have some great fishermen!

200 plus pound Thresher shark caught by Scott Loweth, Eric Farnsworth, Bill Strickland, and Ryan Cutler

RIYC September 2018 Newsletter

Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino

Greetings:

The summer seems to be winding down quickly but I’m pleased to report the water is still warm and the boat traffic is dropping precipitously!  I believe that this is the best time of year to enjoy the water.

Below are a few highlights from the past month and a couple of items to put on the calendar:

  • Our Line of Credit (LOC) has been established – Many thanks to Mary Giblin for her great work!
    • The established rate is Prime plus 0.5%
    • Chelsea Groton waived its fee for this effort.
  • Jr Sailing graduation is complete and the program has moved into 2019 pre-planning
  • The Labor Day Picnic had a great turnout with approximately 110 people in attendance.
  • Please mark your calendars:
    • The RIYC annual meeting is scheduled for 9/29/18
    • The floating docks are scheduled to be hauled on 10/13/18

Of special note – I’d like to thank the Race Ashore and Race Afloat teams for hosting yet another great Ram Island Regatta.  It was very well received by the entrants and included an impressive enrollment (60 Boats) at a time when the attendance at several regattas has dropped off significantly.  The Board of Trustees believes a key component of the health of the sport of sailing is the involvement of youth and as such we wholeheartedly supported the decision to waive the enrollment fee of the Mudratz sailing Team (two boats).  This seemingly minor act provided the experience of competitive sailing to approximately a dozen young sailors from our community.  It is also a proactive response to the feedback from the membership that RIYC increases its philanthropic activities.  Well done by the Race Committee Chairs, The Flag Officers the entire Board of Trustees for their forward thinking and action.

Report from the Entertainment Committee – Sandy Turner and Rodney Denman

The Labor Day Picnic was a Success! The time change to 4-6pm has proven to be positive with attendance. The evite showed 140 yes. The Trustee’s worked well with setup, grilling and cleanup. The members that came to the event brought a variety of side dishes and desserts that complimented the theme. Our club has a lot of creative foodies. The weather was great for the event.

Next, The Clam Bar Party! A complete success! There were 86 in attendance plus crew. We to recognize The Hosts: Jane and Danny Spear and their Committee: Ed and Ellen Dieckerhoff, Fred and Stella Haberlandt, Kevin and Carol Fiftal (and Kevin’s Sous Chefs), Tom Morgan and April, Mary Giblin, and Janice Scott. The food was Amazing! The hors d’oeuvres were very creative and fit with the party theme. THE SHUCKERS: Danny Spear, Ed Dieckerhoff, Ed O’Donnell, Roger Sherman, Dana Avery, Mac Turner, Sandy Turner, Stan White. Job Well Done!

Entertainment would like to remind members of the next event – The Annual Meeting. September 29, 2018.

There is a sign-up board for future parties at the club. Also, a clip board on bar for signing up. Please contact Sandy Turner or Rodney Denman if you can work the Annual Meeting and future parties.

Report from the Junior Program

Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl and Rob Warn

The kids vacuumed and cleaned the upstairs and did a great job! Jr. Sailing broke-even this year, even with the added expense of the prop guards. Ann Bergendahl debriefed the sailors and instructors who generated many great ideas for how to make the club more attractive for junior sailors.

Junior Activities / Thursday Nights – Tina McLoughlin

Everything went very smoothly this summer. The food trucks were very popular this summer and we will try to have more next summer.

Report from the Race Committee

Race Ashore – Matt Curtiss

The party was very successful. Sailors really like the RIYC party – the deviled eggs and meatballs are a perennial favorite. A goal is to get more people involved so there can be more “shifts”. Many people end up working all day.

Race Afloat – Moise Solomon

The weather was perfect and the Race Committee did a great job getting everyone off. Sixty boats participated, the same as last year. There were several one-design classes. The Race Afloat Committee waived the fee for two Mudratz boats, gave out trophies to a class with only 2 entrants, and gave awards to several individuals who had worked on the race committee boat. The Trustees noted that these decisions were within the Committee’s authority and the Race Afloat Committee confirmed the club’s desire to encourage youth to sail and to recognize the hard work and long hours of those on the race committee boat.

Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich

Several issues were identified with some toilets and the toilets have been “patched”. This winter plumbing work will be scheduled to deal with the more serious issues. The doors to the club will be replaced over the next several months and a new router to replace a failed router will also be installed upstairs.

Report from the Waterfront Committee – Stan White

The floats are scheduled to be hauled on October 13th, starting at 08:00. Inspections of the floats will be made as they are hauled. Sandy Turner will be making a list of which floats need to be replaced or repaired.

The main pier had several broken boards that were replaced – thank you goes out to Danny Spear and his work crew.

Resignations 

Last Voyage

  • Hildegerd Lee, an honorary member

New Members

Todd and Joette Saniff – proposed by Gary Annino and second by Allen Kruger. Todd is active in the US Navy and they have two children. He will retire next year after 30 years as a Navy Seal. He has sailed with his brother Dana Saniff and Dave Nickerson for years. He and his son have been fishing with the Annino’s. They now reside in Guildford and are very excited to join the club and become active members.

Sam Oat-Judge – proposed by Cindy Nickerson and second by OJ O’Connell. Sam is active in the US Navy. His family has been involved with the family Don and Joan Oat; Pat Leuthner and Patricia Oat. Sailed growing up on Optis and 420’s and was also a Junior Instructor. He has been active in various sailing teams around the world.

Lea and Clint Kennedy – proposed by Tina McLoughlin and second by Matt Curtis. They have three children that have been active in junior sailing. They are interested to help out with Entertainment. Clint also would assist with website management.

 

 

 

Michael and Maura Niles – proposed by Caitlin Miner and second by Ann Bergendahl. They have four children and all love the water. Primarily power boaters; they live local and love the club and the area.

Cruise News – Stan White

The Fall 2018 cruise was short on boats but long in fun. The Kings, Connors and Whites made the trip to Block Island on September 14 and had Happy Hour on LARK. The Kings and Whites then traveled to Cuttyhunk where a solid walk ashore to the top of Cuttyhunk was made by both crews. Oysters and clams were enjoyed with Dark ‘n Stormies and wine later in the day.

Block Island 09/14/18
Block Island 09/14/18
Cuttyhunk 09/15/18

FOR SALE

We have added a new topic for the newsletter where Members may post, for one newsletter, an item they wish to sell. The item must be marine-related and the information to be sent to the RIYC Secretary must include:

  • Member Name
  • Member contact information
  • Detailed description and condition of the item wishing to be sold
  • Desired selling price

***************************************************************************************

No listing this month.

RIYC August 2018 Newsletter

Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino

Greetings:

I’d like to start this month’s note with a few highlights and “thank you” shout-outs:

  • Dan Spear, Mark Entwistle, Mac Turner & others for the restoration of the porch columns
  • The Dress Ship Party Team – despite the weather chasing the dressed ships away, a great event and a good time had by all
  • The Boatwright Cup RIYC Team – By invitation only and we are now required to return to defend our success!  More importantly, a potential catalyst to return inter-club one design racing to Fisher’s Island Sound
  • Jr Sailing & supporting members– two successful regattas & the programs have been completed with lots of great feedback & smiling kids
  • The Quad Party Team – hugely successful under adverse weather conditions
  • The Clubs unanimous decision to obtain a letter of credit as bridge funding for disaster recovery efforts

Next, I’d like to add a sensitive safety message.

Personally, I am a dog/pet person. Stephanie and I have a menagerie of pets that give us great joy. However, like everything in the world, my perspective is one of many. That being said, I encourage all members to review the house rules section of the bylaws that pertain to pets at the club.  Further – I’d like to emphasize that any issue resulting from an interaction with your pet is your responsibility. Similar to bringing a guest to the facility, consider your pet as your guest. If you find a members guest (or pet) displaying inappropriate behavior, it’s your responsibility to address the behavior with the guest’s host rather than to the Board of Trustees or Flag Officers.

Last, at the time of this writing, two of the club’s neighboring properties have changed, or are in the process of changing ownership.  As such, the Trustees have formed a subcommittee with the goal of being better poised to act if a property becomes available for purchase. Such an acquisition, if endorsed by the membership, could address much of the feedback received by the club the Strategic Planning process.  It’s the goal of this subcommittee to create a pro-forma business case that can be quickly updated and voted upon by the membership thus allowing us to keep pace with the local real estate market. The last two properties came on and off the market in less than 30 days and we feel it is the Board’s fiduciary responsibility to bring these opportunities to the membership.

Report from the Strategic Planning Committee – Blake Powell

The Strategic Planning Committee presented a summary report to the Trustees which identifies the highest priority strategic initiatives identified by the Membership during the survey and workshops. The Committee and Trustees are already developing priorities and an implementation plan to address each of the initiatives. The seven main strategic initiatives identified by members are:

  • Member recruitment and outreach

According to our recent member survey, the ability to attract new members is a serious concern.  This is consistent with challenges facing yacht clubs throughout the country. RIYC is more fortunate than many clubs who have experienced a decline in membership, but our aging membership and waning list of applicants portends future challenges and financial difficulties for the club.  A more proactive approach to attract new members who will be active participants in the Club is needed to ensure the long-term future of the club remains vibrant.

  • Programs and activities to enhance member engagement and sense of community

Ensuring that all members (new, long-time, young, boater and non-boaters) are active, committed, and engaged will enhance the overall sense of community and vibrancy of the Club. Some creative ideas are needed to facilitate social interaction by offering programs and activities that appeal to a wider group of members and naturally draw people together around common interests. The setting for social engagement can be formally organized activities (i.e. Club sponsored parties), impromptu activities (i.e. using message boards or social media to let people know what’s going on for the day) or sweat equity activities. A well-defined mission statement would also enhance the sense of community and common purpose.

  • Boating and on-water activities

The current membership demographics and the activities organized by the club indicate that the on-water activities (both organized and informal) are not as much of a priority as they traditionally have been. The demands on families’ time and the cost of boat ownership were noted to be contributing factors. There is a desire by members to increase the organized on-water boating activities, make the club more attractive to potential members who desire such activities and increase the sense of community revolving around racing, cruising and boating in general.

  • Facility improvements to encourage the casual and informal use of the club

There is a desire to make the club a more comfortable, inviting place and thereby increase utilization by encouraging more casual/informal usage. This will also increase member interaction and sense of community. There is also a desire to make the club more user-friendly for families with young children.  These facility enhancements should make the club more attractive to potential members.

  • Resiliency to weather events

Members recognize the value of the clubhouse and facilities, both in terms of monetary value but also their importance to the culture of Club. The increased frequency of severe weather and high-water events creates the need to identify the risk and be more proactive to protect the facilities. By understanding the problem, the Club can become more resilient and plan to adapt by either defending against stormwater or accommodating routine flooding. There is also a concern that the Club’s finances may be insufficient to recover rapidly from a weather event without a significant assessment on the membership which could have an impact on many members’ ability and desire to remain members, thus jeopardizing the future of the club.

  • Financial stability

It is felt that dues are affordable and represent an outstanding value but may not allow for capital improvements of any significance without assessment. Members want to ensure that the Club is adequately funded, particularly in the event of an emergency. Defining and maintaining the appropriate balance should be a high priority. There is a need to establish goals for account levels for both operating funds and capital improvements/repairs.

  • Programs and activities to enhance Junior Sailing

Members, with and without children, place a high value on the Junior Sailing program. However, the role of Junior Sailing is evolving, not just for our Club for clubs throughout the area and country. Defining the optimal balance between learn-to-sail and competitive racing has always been a challenge but this results in an undefined mission of the Junior Sailing program (and to some degree the mission of the Club). The response to the Club’s demographic survey shows there are only three children currently in the club under six years of age compared to 14 in 2009, 19 in 2005, and 11 in 1999.  The Junior Sailing program and the family memberships it attracts is an important recruitment tool and contributes to the Club’s ability to stay ahead of a declining membership curve. We need to consider how the Junior Sailing program can adapt to the demands on families’ time and best serve the junior sailing goals of our families and their children.

Report from the Entertainment Committee – Sandy Turner and Rodney Denman

The Traditional RIYC Dress Ship Party on Saturday, July 21, 2018, had a good attendance of 66 members plus work crew.  We had boats at the dock in the afternoon, but the weather forced them back to moorings.  We had the house dressed for the party which helped with the theme.  Entertainment would like to thank Ann and Sully Ahamed, Terri and Bryan Burdick, Tom Knight, Jennifer and Jim O’Donnell, Janice Scott and Sandy Turner for working the party.  The team worked well and the food went out smoothly.  A special thanks to Ann and Sully for bringing a tasty chicken dish and to Janice for bringing an unbelievable dessert.

  

Besides the Club Race day, future events to watch out for are the Labor Day Picnic, the Clam Bar Party, and the Annual Meeting.

Entertainment is looking for hosts for the Annual Meeting and Fall parties.  There is a party sign-up clipboard on the bar that we are encouraging members to review and sign.  Remember, these parties can only happen with club members’ support.  It’s a team effort.

The Quad Party was great and was attended by 141 people.  We had more people in attendance from other clubs than from our own club.  The final financials are in process but it looks like we may be slightly out of pocket.  The band, Cabin Fever, is interested in playing for us again at a Thursday Night picnic.  They will be approached for playing in September.

The Labor Day Picnic will be 4-6pm and will run in the same way as Memorial Day – the Trustees will provide burgers, dogs, condiments, and beer.  Entertainment will send out an Evite so that we can better estimate numbers.

Report from the Junior Program

Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl and Rob Warn

We have completed the 2018 Jr. Sailing program at RIYC and we are very happy with how things turned out.  We had a great group of little sailors and instructors! Looking forward to breaking it all down in the coming weeks to evaluate what we can do to improve next year while keeping the momentum going.

The program is “morphing” a little to provide a strong basis for the kids in Optis, and then send them off to NESS or MudRatz for higher level racing in 420’s and beyond.

Junior Activities / Thursday Nights – Tina McLoughlin

Thursday Night Picnics continue! So bring the family and have a great time. The last Thursday Night Picnic is September 13th.

Ames Fund Request 

The Trustees approved a $1,500 grant for Tyler Bergendahl towards his sailing activities.  He is already flying a RIYC burgee, and the Trustees will ask him to provide a picture for the website from one of his many regattas.  We wish him well!

Report from the Race Committee

Race Ashore – Matt Curtiss

Race day planning is well in hand with coordination with the steward, Tiana. The food is all ordered. The Committee is still looking for junior runners as well as volunteers for parking and cleanup.

Race Afloat – Moise Solomon

The sign-up system is working well and the Committee encourages all to get out onto the race course.

Any members not using their mooring on August 25, 26 and willing to allow transient racers to use, please contact Moise, moise.solomon@gmail.com.

Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich

There have been issues with windows being left open and water coming in.  In addition, it seems as some of the club chairs may have had salt water dripped on them from swimmers.  A. Bergendahl indicated that the sailing instructors had a lightened load and the Junior Sailing Program finishes and they will wash the chairs.  The Trustees will check on the prior contacts for the club chairs and explore ordering new ones because some are broken and some are just tired. There will be an opportunity for members to sponsor a chair with their boat name in the future.

Report from the Waterfront Committee – Stan White

In order to address an accident on the floating docks last month where a member’s foot slipped between the dock units, Waterfront has started installing the boards between the floating docks to ensure safety.

The Dock and Harbor Rules call for using a sticker to identify those members who have paid the appropriate mooring and dinghy fees.  This procedure will be re-activated for 2019 and will include paddleboards and kayaks.

The RIYC Dock and Harbor Rules have been updated by the Board and should be reviewed by all members. Of special significance is the requirement to remove boats from the pier and floating docks if there is a storm predicted.

Website – Lorna Conahan

We will be transitioning to GoDaddy as our domain registrar.  The Team met on 8/20 to review how to make updates.  The Team will also respond to a request to more clearly identify responsibility for posting and communicating various items.

Membership Application Procedures – Amy Leger

As Trustees we are often asked, what is the process to bring a new member into the club?

Membership is by invitation from the Board of Trustees which considers prospective members who are proposed by the Membership Committee.

Following the steps below will help make the process run smoothly!

  1. If you have a friend or family member that has expressed interest in our club, the first step is to bring them to our events. This could include the Thursday Night Picnics as well as our many Entertainment Committee events.
  2. Once they have attended a few events and have met other members, download the application from the Member Section of the website or ask the Secretary to email it to you (riycsec@gmail.com).
  3. Ask the Prospective Member to complete the Application and to write a biography explaining why they are interested in joining our club. Have them return the Application and Biography to you.
  4. Explain to them that it is not unusual for the entire process to take up to two years so that they are not expecting an immediate invitation.
  5. Sign and date the Application and identify another member (not a spouse) who is also well-acquainted with the applicant to “Second” the Application by signing and dating as well.
  6. Submit the signed Application and Biography to the Secretary; both Sponsors are required to send supporting letters.
  7. The Secretary requests that forms and letters be submitted by email as well as other documents such as support letters, if possible.
  8. After application submission, continue to bring the Prospective Members to events; remember we are a working club! You should also ask other members who are acquainted with the prospective member to write support letters.  The more letters, the better!
  9. Please note that individual letters that demonstrate a relationship to and knowledge of the applicant are weighted more heavily than form letters signed by multiple members.

Membership is capped by the RIYC Bylaws, and new members are selected by the Membership Committee as space becomes available.  The Bylaws state, “All proceedings of the Membership Committee and the Trustees upon any proposal for membership and all communications received by them in relation thereto shall be regarded as confidential and shall not be disclosed except to state their final action thereon.”

It is difficult for the Membership Committee to propose members if they have not met them.  Since the committee itself is not identified to the Membership per the Bylaws, it is therefore helpful for sponsors to ensure that prospective members have been introduced to as many Trustees as possible.

Additionally, we would like to inform the membership that we are at an all-time low number of complete membership proposals which we can act on and remain in compliance with the bylaws.

If you have previously proposed a member, you are encouraged to email the Secretary to find out if the application packet is complete and if supporting letters have been received.

For all others – if you know of a good prospect for membership, please consider nominating them via the process described.

Documents are available on the Member Only section of the Ram Island Yacht Club website   https://ramislandyachtclub.org/

Resignations 

Last Voyage

  • Brian Thorp, husband of Joan Thorp
  • Sidney Petrie, husband of Linda and father of Brian

New Members

Cruise News – Stan White

Send an email to Stan White if you plan to attend the planned cruise.

The Fall Cruise will be held September 14th – 17th with the intended destination of Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Third Beach. We might need four or five nights!

Safety for Cruising Couples (Including “Suddenly Alone”) a Cruising Club of America (CCA) one-day training had to be postponed until September 9th. Contact Stan White if you are interested.

FOR SALE

We have added a new topic for the newsletter where Members may post, for one newsletter, an item they wish to sell. The item must be marine-related and the information to be sent to the RIYC Secretary must include:

  • Member Name
  • Member contact information
  • Detailed description and condition of the item wishing to be sold
  • Desired selling price

***************************************************************************************

Classic 9’ Dyer Dhow for sale. Includes oarlocks, oars, bowline, floorboards (needs painting). The boat is solid but could use some buffing up. The boat does not have a sailing rig. $450. Laurelbutler697@gmail.com

RIYC July 2018 Newsletter

Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino

Greetings:

We are excited to begin addressing some of the feedback received by the membership via the survey & follow-up meetings.  The items listed below were implemented by the Board of Trustees at this month’s meeting:

  • We have scheduled (date to be announced separately) a special meeting of the RIYC membership to discuss and vote upon the Club obtaining a line of credit against the facility so we are better positioned to deal with a natural disaster.  This would be the only applicable use for this loan.  Details to follow on this important topic.
  • We have also formed three subcommittees:
    1. Club Grounds Beautification(Lorna Conahan with the balance of the committee under development) The purpose of this team is to take a fresh look at the grounds and make recommendations to the Trustees for improvements
    2. Small Sailboat interclub alignment(Blake Powel, Dave Nickerson & Chris O’Donnell) The purpose of this subcommittee is to review the feasibility of each of the clubs in the area have one or two of the same boat, what would that be? The current thinking is that these would be club property & available for use by members for general sailing, learn to sail programs and interclub one design
    3. Club Bylaws periodic review & revisions for consideration(Amy Leger, Tom Bishop, and Mike McBee) The purpose of this subcommittee is to complete a general review of the bylaws with an eye towards ensuring gender neutrality, congruent thought process and clarifying general intent.

Report from the Entertainment Committee – Sandy Turner and Rodney Denman

Chairs R. Denman and S. Turner had previously highlighted parties up through the Family Pig Roast.  Between the last Board meeting and now the New Members/Past Commodores was held on 06/16/18.  It was a fun evening with good weather and the turnout was huge at 129 plus the committee.  There were very few leftovers and the committee did a great job!  Included in this high headcount were both new members and past Commodores who by traditionally do not pay–making this party challenged to break even depending on the number of the non-charged attendees.  While we do not need positive cash flow off of the parties, some positive parties help with other events as we do not keep a large balance in our account. Fortunately, this party broke even!

For the future parties, we will advise hosts on a food budget.  It is great to have a variety of the food served, but we may have to look at the quantity planned for and the proposed menu options.   Entertainment is also updating the Evite list and the Sign-up Genie will be resent.

Remember, we are a “sweat equity” club, so sign up early and often to help with parties!

With the Quad Party scheduled for Sat 8/4 the Committee kindly asks:

  • If you plan to attend, please RSVP and prepay
  • The club will be fully stocked with toilet paper, garbage bags, and paper towels
  • The lawn will be mowed on Thursday ( the tent will be set up Friday as well for an event on Fri night)
  • Board members will be regularly checking the post box for RSVP’s
  • Tiana will be working until 7 pm to assist with guests docking

Report from the Junior Program

Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl

Anne Bergendahl reports that the first two weeks are off to a good start despite a few hiccups! The Austin LaFrance Opti Regatta is on Tuesday, July 17th, and the Salle Evelyn 420/Blue Jay regatta is the following Thursday, July 26th.

If any member wishes to help (not just parents of JR. Sailors), let Rob Warn or Ann Bergendahl know.  We would love more involvement from membership as a whole!

Junior Activities / Thursday Nights – Tina McLoughlin

Thursday Night Picnic season has officially arrived!

  • Thursday 8/2: 6 pm Freak Rig Competition
  • Thursday 8/16: 6 pm Awards Ceremony (Rolling Tomato pizza truck and ice cream bar)

Junior Safety at Sea Workshop will use of the club on Wednesday, July 25th from 8 am check-in to 5 pm pick-up. The Storm Trysail Foundation will be running its 2nd Jr. Safety@Sea Seminar with the host  Ram Island Yacht Club on Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Junior Sailors ages 12-19 are welcome.

Fee: $42.00 includes snacks, lunch, raffle prizes, and giveaways.

Contact: Peter Rugg (ruglet@peterrugg.com), Chair of the event

Report from the Race Committee

Race Ashore – Matt Curtiss

Planning is well underway for this annual event.

  • The Groton Police Department has confirmed an officer for the day
  • We have ordered a dumpster and will confirm
  • Ice will be carefully guarded to ensure availability
  • Universal will provide drink service
  • Hats are still being finalized

Race Afloat – Moise Solomon

The Yachtscoring site is now live with the notice of race and registration information.  Changes to the website have been written and are imminent.

Any members not using their mooring on August 25, 26 and willing to allow transient racers to use, please contact Moise, moise.solomon@gmail.com.

Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich

The Committee reports on two ongoing projects:

  • Work to replace missing fascia is to start the week of July 16th. Steve Bossie is doing the work.
  • Tiana, our steward, is applying primer on porch columns

Report from the Waterfront Committee – Stan White

We had an accident on the floating docks where a member’s foot slipped between the dock units. John McCrae has taken the lead in placing filler 2×4’s into the space between the docks to prevent potential injuries.

Website – Lorna Conahan

The new website is up and running!  There have been a few glitches to work through, but overall feedback has been positive.  We will be working on determining the best way to mail things out to people.  There have been a few challenges with how photos appear in the Newsletter and in mailings that will be addressed.  Many thanks to Rush Hambleton!

Resignations 

Last Voyage

New Members

  • Bob and Maggie Henderson
  • Tony and Gretchen Frederici
  • David Strang

    Cruise News – Stan White

Send an email to Stan White if you plan to attend the planned cruise.

  • The Fall Cruise will be held September 14th – 17th with the intended destination of Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Third Beach. We might need four or five nights!

Safety for Cruising Couples (Including “Suddenly Alone”) a Cruising Club of America (CCA) one-day training had to be postponed until September – date to be announced. Contact Stan White if you are interested.

 

RIYC June 2018 Newsletter

Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino

Greetings

I want to start by reminding the membership that as members of the Noank community we should be mindful of the local speed limits. Our neighbors have expressed concern.

Next, I’d like everyone to visit the revamped website. A lot of thought and effort went into improving the look and functionality. A special thanks to Lorna Conahan and Rush Hambleton for this great effort.

I’d also like draw your attention to some initial feedback/concern from our strategic planning efforts. There is some concern expressed about the ability of the club to recover from a natural disaster and stabilize any impact until such time that a recovery plan can be identified and funded by the membership. There will be more to follow on this topic shortly as the trustees consolidate our thoughts on how best to address this valid concern raised.

On a safety note, we have added prop guards to all of our chase boats.

Website Update – Lorna Conahan and Rush Hambleton

The new website is up and running! Check it out!  www.ramislandyachtclub.org

Moving forward all newsletter items will be delivered in this new email form and also appear on the website.

If you have any questions about the web page, reach out to Lorna at lorna.conahan@gmail.com.

Finalizing the website

Report from the Strategic Planning Committee – Blake Powell

Thanks to everyone who participated in the strategic planning workshop last month. We had an excellent turnout and received valuable input. The strategic planning committee is busy compiling the results from the member survey and workshop. Based on the members’ input, the Committee and Trustees will be focusing on the following strategic areas:

  • Improving the Club’s resiliency to severe weather and high-water events;
  • Developing programs and activities to enhance member engagement and sense of community;
  • Ensuring the Club is on a financially sound footing, improving member recruitment and outreach efforts;
  • Increasing boating and on-water activities; and
  • Implementing general facility improvements.

The Committee and Trustees will be working on short-term and long-term solutions to address these areas, and we will be looking for additional member participation and input in the near future.

Report from the Entertainment Committee – Sandy Turner and Rodney Denman

First, there was the Pot Luck Dinner on May 19th. Thank you, Sonya and RJ Nickerson and crew–Mary McFadden, Tom Morgan, Pat and Tod Schaefer, for your great job and set up.  Great food provided by attendees.  Although a small turn out it was a fun party.

Second, the Memorial Day Picnic on May 28th.  Thank you to our Trustees for putting on a great event (and to whoever called in a good weather-favor).  Also, thank you to the members who brought salads and desserts.  Again, it is a team effort!  Highlights – Moving the party to 4 pm greatly improved attendance which was a record (or at least tied) in recent years.

Third, The Family Pig Roast on June 2nd. Thank you, Amy and Gerry Leger for hosting and to your crew- Clint and Kate Rand, Chris Daniels, Karen Christian, Elain and Brunson Dodge, Carol and Dana Oviatt and Tom Morgan and April  Job well done!

   

To round out the parties we just had the Past Commodores and New Members Party on June 16th (with the phenomenal weather!). Thank you, Sherry and Alfie Fritzsche for hosting and to your crew- Patsy Fritzsche, Eunice and John Sutphen, Joan Sienkiewicz, Joyce and Glenn Gardner, Cathy Cook, Ann Budding and John Orzech. Job well done!  This event had a huge turnout (130+!), and we announced our new members and 50-year members–cheers!  The food provided was delicious and well-planned out.

       

A side note: When a party calls for an RSVP we ask that you please make an effort to respond, and be careful that each half of a couple doesn’t respond “yes for two.”  Our hosts for these parties depend on an accurate count of anticipated patrons to make sure there’s the right amount of food.  There will be times, of course, that you plan to attend and an emergency comes up, or a prior commitment falls apart last-minute that allows you attend – we understand!  But thank you for making sure to RSVP!

Entertainment Committee – is looking for Club Members to host and crew parties this year.  Volunteering is what makes RIYC great!  Please remember: if we want to host but never have and would like a little help to get you started, please ask us–we can offer guidance (and the “party planning notes” from past years’ events are always available), or connect you with experienced past hosts who can give some direction.  We thank all of you who have helped with the parties this past year!!

Report from the Junior Program

Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl

  • Junior Sailing starts Monday, June 25th.
  • Almost 40 junior sailors are enrolled.
  • Check out the Jr. Sailing section of the club’s new website for the full schedule of events this summer.
  • If you would like to be on our mailing list, please sign up on the website.
  • Please let us know if you are interested in helping out this summer with the Regattas and activities.  Specifically, we are looking for crash boat volunteers on regatta days (July 17th and July 26th), someone to lead/teach “colors” to the kids at a Thursday Night Picnic, and someone who might want to host the kids on Big Boat Day this summer (Date TBD).

Junior Activities / Thursday Nights – Tina McLoughlin

Thursday Night Cookouts have begun!  The 1st food truck of the season is this Thursday.  Other planned activities include:

  • Thursday 6/28: 6 pm “Jr Sailing Kick-off” party (Rolling Tomato pizza food truck and s’mores)
  • Thursday 7/12: 6 pm Luau  (Chester’s BBQ)
  • Monday 7/16: 8 pm Astronomy Night (rain date is 7/18)
  • Thursday 8/2: 6 pm Freak Rig Competition
  • Thursday 8/16: 6 pm Awards Ceremony (Rolling Tomato pizza truck and ice cream bar)

Report from the Race Committee

Race Ashore – Matt Curtiss

M Curtiss is in discussions with Gray Sail, which is interested in sponsoring the event.  The committee is working on numbers to figure out how many hats we would want to purchase.

Race Afloat – Moise Solomon

Trophies are ready to be ordered! The cost is $1500 plus shipping. We are looking for more volunteers to help with check-in.  Results will be on “Yacht Scoring”.  S. Turner suggested that a flier is sent to other yacht clubs to advertise the event.

Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich

A “clean-team” tackled the loft and instructor areas.  Consideration is being given to ways to maximize the storage within the loft area so that it is more functional.  The siding is complete, and a contractor is being engaged to complete the flashing.

Report from the Waterfront Committee – Stan White

Several weeks ago, Noank was subjected to several days of high winds, primarily from the east and northeast. This wind direction places high loads on the chain/anchor mooring system as well as our floating docks and fixed pier. Fortunately, the Optimists were not stored in the racks, but there were several boats tied to the floating docks and fixed pier, and they were asked to move the boats to moorings.

It was noted by the RIYC Officers that the float and pier use policy has to be clarified to protect our valuable assets – no boats are to be secured to the floats and pier during predicted storm events.

It is also recognized that the policy for the use of docks by non-members who share boats with RIYC members needs to be clarified.

A waterfront policy update committee has been formed (S. White, J. McCrae and D. Spear) and will meet before the next Board Meeting with the recommended policy changes.

Resignations 

Last Voyage

New Members

  • Kelsey Conahan
  • Jeff and Karen Christian
  • Chris O’Donnell

Cruise News – Stan White

Send an email to Stan White if you plan to attend the planned cruise.

  • The Fall Cruise will be held September 14th – 17th with the intended destination of Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Third Beach. We might need four or five nights!
The sun is over the yardarm during the June cruise!

Safety for Cruising Couples (Including “Suddenly Alone”) a Cruising Club of America (CCA) one-day training to be held at RIYC on July 7, 2018. Contact Stan White if you are interested.

Groton Small Boat Day is being held on Saturday, June 30, 10am-2pm at Esker Point. Noank Rowing Club and a few volunteers from RIYC are lending a hand.  Come on down.

  • Try out a kayak, sailboat, paddleboard, or sliding seat shell.   (life jackets provided)
  • Meet with distributors of small boats.
  • Learn about water sports and recreational activities in Groton.
  • Talk with CT DEEP to learn about safe boating and keeping our waters clean.
  • Learn about adaptive opportunities in small boats.
  • Kayak Waveologywill be showing high-end sea kayaks and giving demonstrations on Eskimo rolls and capsize recovery techniques.

To make your small boat(s) available for demonstration or use, contact Bill Grady at 860-271-1288. For more information please contact Groton Parks and Recreation at 860-536-5682.

http://www.groton-ct.gov/depts/parksrec/events/smallboatday.asp