RIYC January 2019 Newsletter

Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino

Happy New Year!

These are exciting times at RIYC.

At our January Board meeting we reviewed several topics that are in response to the clubs feedback:
• Potential external improvements to the clubs grounds
• The periodic review and potential revision of the Clubs By-laws
• Creating opportunities for increased sailing (Adult, Junior and Inter-Yacht Club)

These items and others are being used to feed the Strategic/Long-Range Planning Committees efforts. In support of this, we have decided to further delay the paving of the parking lot until we fully understand the long-term plan to address our rising waters. We are looking to focus our capital expenditures that move in that strategic direction. We will continue to address the parking lot repairs on a case by case effort as they arise – or perhaps more appropriately, sink.

We’ve also established contact with several of the other clubs around Fishers Island Sound. We are establishing a periodic inter-club meeting at a regular cadence for all the Clubs to meet to discuss their challenges and goals such including (but not limited to):
• Attraction and retention of new members at this dynamic time
• Rising ocean waters & what the clubs are doing to protect their facilities
• Establishing formal club reciprocation policies
• Investigating the ability to share assets across clubs to improve club offerings
• Re-establishing more inter-club/one design racing

We look forward to sharing more as this important effort matures.

Notices have been sent BY EMAIL to all memberships regarding updating contact information for the Directory (those without email have received the request via snail mail). Members are asked to respond by January 28th. If you haven’t seen the request, please check your spam, then ask your spouse – it may have gone to them. If no one in your household has seen the request, please contact Kathy Parker at riycsec@gmail.com.

Report from the Entertainment Committee – Rodney Denman and Denise Kennedy

R. Denman and D. Kennedy have gathered committee members and are planning for the upcoming season.

Report from the Junior Program

Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl and Rob Warn

We had another wonderful Children’s Christmas party this season (in conjunction with the Mudheads). More pictures can be found on our website.

Santa Arrives!!!

The Junior Sailing and Activities chairs are busy interviewing instructors and putting together a committee to help run the program this year. If you are interested in helping in any capacity: day to day, regattas, Thursday nights, training, etc. please let one of us know soon. You don’t have to have a child presently in the program, as Carol Connor, Val Fast, Gil Millsom and Chuck Chorlton can attest! Thanks to all of your help (and many others too).

The program will run from June 24th to August 16th this year.

R. Warn reported that Jr. Sailing had purchased a used 420 with dolly and trailer. They have already started talking to potential instructors, including a potential head instructor. Two subcommittees are being formed: one to work on the normal logistics of regattas; the second to explore options for ensuring the long-term viability and attractiveness of the program.

Report from the Race Committee

Race Ashore – Tina McLoughlin and Race Afloat – Moise Solomon

M. Solomon and T. McLoughlin met January 7th with committee members and plans are proceeding well. The race will be on Saturday, August 24. Bob LaFrance will be the ECSA representative. The committee plans to raise registration fees by $5 to cover costs as there was a deficit last year. In addition, a decision has been made to waive the Mudratz registration fee. The Mudratz will still need to purchase party tickets. The committee will also determine the appropriate charge for party tickets. The Skippers meeting and cookout will take place on Friday, August 23rd.

Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich and Fred Haberlandt

M. Lettrich had requested input on the club chairs. Matt reported that of the responses, nobody liked yellow, and people liked names. Matt will follow up with blue canvas and white lettering. The House Committee is still recruiting committee members and will eventually implement a coverage calendar so that members know who to call if there are any issues.

Bylaws Subcommittee – Amy Leger

A. Leger shared a draft of proposed Bylaw changes with the Board. She asked that Trustees provide comments by February 1st. Commodore Annino indicated that he will call a Special Meeting for the membership to ultimately approve any updates.

Strategic / Long Range Planning – Blake Powell and Fred Haberlandt

What do you want Ram Island Yacht Club (RIYC) to be and to look like in its centennial year, 2041? The RIYC Strategic Plan will help us define that vision and provide an executable path to achieve it.

Last year, members provided hundreds of recommendations to improve the club. Leveraging that effort, the Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC) has grouped the recommendations into three strategic focus areas: Facilities, Membership, and Programs. The table below provides a proposed structure for the effort to develop the strategic plan, including the identification of ad hoc subcommittees that will be charged with developing the plan in their respective areas.

Broad participation by club members is encouraged and should enhance the quality of the finished plan. If you are available and would like to contribute your time and expertise to one of the subcommittees, please call or e-mail John Watson, Fred Haberlandt, or Blake Powell not later than Thursday, Jan 31st. The intention is for subcommittees to begin their effort in February and to deliver a completed strategic plan in May.

Report from the Waterfront Committee – Sandy Turner and Matt Champney

The Waterfront Chairs would like to Thank Dan Spear for overhauling the club dinghy this Winter.  It is much appreciated!

This Spring we will be having the Piles surveyed.  This is part of the process of pile replacement on the main pier and Lawton Dock – doing a few at a time spacing out the effort every 3 to 5 years.

Float crew – once the weather breaks we have the two rebuilds – plus decking.  Again your work and dedication to this yearly ritual does not go unnoticed and we thank you or your hard work.

Recommendations for Club Exterior – Carol Connor

Carol Connor led a subcommittee, along with Rose Powell & Tamara McKenna, to identify Club Beautification ideas.

Outdoors:

• Grill & Firepit – We have gas outside that can be hooked up for both the grill and a firepit. The firepit would be in the corner of the stone wall along with eight Adirondack chairs from LL Bean (guaranteed for 20 years).
• Landscaping – The team met with DJ Noyes, a landscape designer who had a lot of ideas. He can be hired to do a site plan.
• Grass – Our “lawn” has deteriorated and is difficult to maintain. In the summer, tables must be moved for mowing; sinkholes are forming. Carol received an estimate from a contractor for stamped concrete. He provided an estimate for the grass area, and also for a pathway from the parking lot and a walkway that would join up with the door. It was noted that you have to seal the concrete periodically.
• Information Boxes – The boxes need some improvement. We thought someone from the club might make them more attractive and useable.
• Garbage Cans – The garbage cans are situated outside. The suggestion is to upgrade the fence and move the cans inside.
• Front Entry Way – The area in the front needs some additional plants that are more appropriate for the site.
• Locker Doors – We have many lockers and they are not attractive. We could get some additional trim and wainscoting to make them more attractive.
• Picnic Tables – There are some nice white tables available from Wayfair.
• Garden – The garden is quite large and is difficult to maintain. It can be cut in half. DJ Noyes suggested a fence between the parking lot and the downsized garden.

Indoors:

• Inside Entrance – We have a beautiful entrance, but no one uses it. We can redo the front by getting rid of the back staircase and make a proper coatroom.

Trustees had a lot of enthusiasm for making the improvements and will be reviewing the ideas and prioritizing. There will be consideration as to what we can do ourselves versus what we need to pay others to do.

Resignations 

Last Voyage

Phyllis Littlefield

New Members

Youtt Family

Cruise News – Stan White

The Club will run two cruises next year – June and September. Please send your ideas of places to go to Stan White (swhite151@gmail.com).

FOR SALE

We have added a new topic for the newsletter where Members may post, for one newsletter, an item they wish to sell. The item must be marine-related and the information to be sent to the RIYC Secretary must include:

  • Member Name
  • Member contact information
  • Detailed description and condition of the item wishing to be sold
  • Desired selling price

***************************************************************************************

No listing this month