Commodore’s Message – Gary Annino
Summer is winding down and the days are getting shorter.
This is a busy month at RIYC:
Junior Sailing graduation occurred last Thursday and it was great to see the young new sailors walk up to proudly receive their awards.
The last Tuesday night dinner was attended by 54 people! The food and service has been excellent. I believe we will have two more this year so if you’ve never been (as I hadn’t before this year) it’s a fun evening.
RIYC just returned from defending the Boatwright Cup title against WAD and SHYC. Representing RIYC was Carl Fast, Dave Youtts, and Sarah Youtts in lasers. Wes Maxwell, OJ O’Connell, Zack Champney, Jemma O’Donnell sailed the Ideal 18s. It’s nice to see inter club one design racing in the sound.
Last, and very important – The Ram Island Race is SATURDAY, August 24th & the party starts at five
Enjoy this beautiful weather while it lasts.
PS – Please note that we will be pulling the Ideal 18s on September 14th. For anyone willing to help, please contact me.
Report from the Entertainment Committee – Rodney Denman and Denise Kennedy
Report from the Junior Program
Junior Sailing – Ann Bergendahl and Rob Warn
Jr. Sailing came to a nice close last week. Two new things… Laser clinics on Monday nights and the Adventure Class seem to be a hit. Jr. Sailing will pass information on to next to chairs.
Report from the Race Committee
Race Ashore – Tina McLoughlin
Planning is well underway. Several logistics items:
- The ice is being delivered on Friday; it should be dropped by noon on the north side of the building where the trash cans are
- Giblin will provide checks for payment
- Ann and John Budding are setting up the tent as they always do; either on Friday evening or first thing Saturday morning
- The dumpster (6-yards with lid) was delivered on Friday and placed in front of the bike rack; street side of the playground
- We are confirmed to have a steward working at the Club
- Jr. Sailing and the stewards will help remove boats from the end of the parking lot prior to Saturday
- The outer room upstairs will be used for Race Ashore storage; the Instructor’s bedroom and bathroom will be off limits
- Noank Package Store will supply the bar
- Trustees agreed it was a good idea to hire some of our junior sailors to assist with certain activities such as dish washing and parking assistance
Report from the House Committee – Matt Lettrich, Frank Bohlen and Fred Haberlandt
The south-side locker door project will continue shortly. The Committee will be developing a work list for winter projects.
Strategic / Long Range Planning – Blake Powell, Fred Haberlandt and John Watson
Keith Neilson of Docko has inspected the parking lot and has provided a written report to the LRP subcommittee with repaving recommendations taking into account drainage and stability. These recommendations are being evaluated. Other initiatives related to the docks and house structure are being discussed. No decisions have been made.
Report from the Waterfront Committee – Sandy Turner and Matt Champney
Ben and Cristina Connell live in Noank (Tryon Ave.) and have two children Estelle (Stella) 13 and David 7. Ben is interested in getting involved with the house operations and Cristina is interested in the Junior Sailing Program.
Cruise News – Stan White
The fall cruise is set for September 8th (Sunday) – September 10th to Block Island. Dinner ashore Sunday night and BYOB cocktails on LARK Monday evening. Monday will be a day of hiking, biking or just reading a book. Send an email to Stan White (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are thinking about making the voyage!
The Kings and Whites are trying to organize a French Canal Barge charter (4 or 6 people per boat) for September 2021. PLENTY of time to plan! If you want to be kept informed about the trip and, hopefully, join us, send an email to Peter (email@example.com) and Stan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Of Special Interest
Mike McBee is seeking used Opti/Laser equipment for a youth sailing program in Bequia. See the flier BYS-Equipment-Donation
Block Island YC Around the Island Pursuit Race Saturday, September 1st. See the flier 2019-Around-the-Island-Pursuit-Race
Mason’s Island Paddle Board Race August 24th. See the flier MIYC Paddle Event August 2019
B.I.G. Jack 9th Annual Block Island Guyol SHYC Regatta September 7th. See flier BIG Jack BI
We have added a new topic for the newsletter where Members may post, for one newsletter, an item they wish to sell. The item must be marine-related and the information to be sent to the RIYC Secretary must include:
- Member Name
- Member contact information
- Detailed description and condition of the item wishing to be sold
- Desired selling price
No listing this month